- The Medal of Honor is the highest decoration awarded by the United States to members of the armed forces for combat valor.
- Types of Medals of Honor.
- Army’s Medal of Honor.
- Navy’s Medal of Honor.
- There has been only one U.S. Coast Guard Medal of Honor recipient.
What are the main types of medals?
- Political and military medals.
- Coronations, jubilees, births and deaths.
- Prize medals for art, education, sport etc.
- Architecture and engineering medals.
- Religious medals.
- British medallions.
- European medallions.
- Medallions from the rest of the world.
What is the highest medal in the UK military?
The Victoria Cross is the premier Operational Gallantry award given for ‘most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy’. It may be awarded to all ranks of the services and civilians and can be awarded posthumously.
Is the Medal of Honor the highest honor?
The nation’s highest military award for valor is the Medal of Honor, presented by the president in Congress’ name. By law, only U.S. service members who distinguish themselves “through conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty” can receive the medal.